Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday, October 19, 2009

My day today...

The power went out in my area around midnight, so my day started with my staying awake until 2:00 when the power came back on.

I reset the two alarm clocks

I reset the DVD recorder so I could record Oprah today. She's having Nate Berkus, I love watching him!

I went back to sleep.

I awoke at 6 am this morning.

I had a little "me" time.

I fed Rachel.

I got ready for work.

I gave Rachel a second can of food to hold her over for the rest of the day.

At 7 am I was loading up the car - two trips today.

I arrived at work around 7:15.

I logged onto my computer for the day and found there were updates needed on the computers from during the break.

I ran the updates on my computer, rebooted and logged back in.

Checked my email messages.

At 7:30 I began greeting co-workers.

I picked up my radio in the office.

I cleared out the space and planets stuff out of the display case in the main hallway of the school.

I put away the stuff that was mine, and returned the things belonging to the librarian.

At 8:00 I went outside and did my Crossing Guard job.

At 8:50 I went to the playground area for our Monday Morning Meeting with the entire school.

At 9:00 I checked my voice mails - I don't check them first thing in the morning because I don't have time to fix anything.

I also checked my emails.

I dropped off the book that Pat borrowed.

I dropped off the dvd I made over the weekend of the Nova show on the Hubble Telescope.

Our Tech from the District stopped by and told me about the trouble the office was having with the new scanner they received.

I unloaded the movies out of my bags, I finally remembered to bring in some kid friendly musicals.

I unloaded the Wizard of Oz stuff and opened up the Blue-ray special edition I bought at Costco.

I uploaded the digital version of the movie onto my laptop.

I looked over everything to determine what I would put into the display to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Wizard of Oz movie. The book is 109 years old, having been published in May 1900.
While this movie uploaded, I began putting Wizard of Oz books, pictures and other mementos into the display case.

I was asked to report to the Coach's office at 10:00. At this point, I don't know why.

I looked up The Wonderful Wizard of Oz book online and found a link to the PDF of the digital copy. It's copyright ran out years ago on the book so it's in the public domain. I downloaded it onto my laptop.

I found some illustrations to tape up on the back of the display case to show students what the story originally looked like.

I went to the 10:00 meeting, they are asking me to work with the librarian to have an "alternate" music class for the 7th & 8th graders. These are students who don't want to be in Band, Orchestra, Choir and PE is full. The students have been wreaking havoc with the choir teacher, as there was nowhere else for the kids to go. We're going to do it, but neither of us are music teachers. ;o)

At 10:30 I finished printing off some illustrations from the Wizard of Oz book and taped them on the back of the display case.

I began looking up lesson plans for middle school general music classes. I got a few ideas, I'll have to run them by the librarian so we can get something started. We begin teaching on Wednesday. We're limited to what we can do, as this class is not supposed to be a reward for the students.

At 11:30 I stopped researching lesson plans and began prepping the computers for the kindergarten class coming at 12:00. The students don't know what numbers are yet (they might as well be reading Chinese), so I log the students in, reset the computers to use Firefox for the default browser, and set them up for Starfall.

I also substitute this class, the teachers are in meetings during this time.

The kinder class is from 12:05 - 12:35. I then take them to PE.

I log the kids off the computers.

I run the updates on the computers.

I fix the display settings on the computers. I had to change the settings for map testing, now that it's over, I needed to fix the settings.

I eat lunch.

While eating lunch, a teacher tells me she lost the documents folder from her dock, and didn't know how to get it back. I told her to leave her computer up and running and I'll fix it remotely.

I checked my mailbox in the lounge and found that a teacher needed me to locate web sites for the students to locate for specific information - by tomorrow morning.

After lunch I set up the computers for the two second grades. Because they are back to back classes, and I'm subbing, I don't have time to switch the student logins on the computers. So I log the first class in and use those log ins for the second class.

At 2:30 I began subbing the 2nd grade students. They are working on their typing using a fun BBC web site called Dance Mat Typing.

I began looking up web sites, and found most of them.

At 3:00 I walked the kids to PE and picked up the second round of second graders.

I fixed the teacher's documents folder on the computer remotely.

I finished locating web sites.

At 3:25 the teacher of the class came to get them ready to go home.

I began closing down the browser on each computer.

At 3:27 I got ready and went outside for the end of day Crossing Guard duty.

A teacher started their first day of assisting me on the cross walk. Of course there are the disrespectful parents who refuse to use the crosswalk. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, though, these are students who have behavior issues in school.

At 3:45 I returned back to the lab, and began creating the filamentality site for the web sites for the teacher. This is the easiest way for students to go the internet to look up the information the teacher is watching. Here's the finished product:

Woodsong Treasure Hunt

Once finished I emailed the link to the teacher.

I shut down the computers, packed up my stuff and left the school at 4:45.

I stopped off at Mom's house to drop off a calendar she asked me to buy for her.

I went home and brought up my stuff.

I fed Rachel.

I checked my email, facebook, and Barry Manilow sites.

I took a bunch of plastic bags and my grocery bags (cloth bag and freezer bag) to the car.

Bought Rachel more cat food at PetsMart.

I bought fluorescent light bulbs at Home Depot. I also picked up a new flood light for Mom's home.

I dropped off the plastic bags and picked up a few things at Wal Mart.

I used my grocery bags for shopping at Safeway.

I nuked a dinner in the microwave while bringing up purchases.

I put purchases away.

I ate dinner.

I loaded and ran a load of dishes in the dishwasher.

I'm watching Jay Leno as I type this.

I think I'm tired now.


Myra said...

What a full and satisfying day. I'm glad you have such a great job working in the'll do great at the music class (you really are musically talented).

Dawn Bushman said...

Thank you! Yes, very, very full and very, very satisfying.