Friday, June 6, 2008

Mom has left... the hospital!

If you saw my previous post, then you saw that Mom had to go into the hospital. The good news is she is now out of the hospital. The bad news is this means any kind of plans I had for the rest of my summer are pretty much shot.

The first time mom passed out and fell she broke her right foot. She now has a boot on it, and is using the walker Dad used until his death. This means I will need to be with her on a daily basis to help out, as well as driving her around for appointments. The boot will be on for 3 months, so until the first part of September Mom will be living like this. Not much fun for either one of us.

The really good news, though, is that she is home where she can be comfortable, and it seems like what caused it was her electrolytes were skewed out of balance. Namely her magnesium and potassium. If you have too much of both it will cause problems, but if you have too little of either one it will cause an irregular heart beat. This was what got Mom so sick and passing out on Tuesday. The hospital was really great, wanting to make sure they had checked every nook and cranny on her to try to determine what the cause of all of this was. She can now honestly say she's had her head examined. :o)

In the meantime, people needing to reach me can leave an email, a phone message at my home, call my cell number or call directly to Mom's house, as I will be there a majority of my time now.

Prayers are still welcome and appreciated, including a huge prayer of thanks to God on my part that this was not something more serious.

2 comments:

Couch Pirate said...

Whoa nelly. Wrong kind of adventure. I mean, if you want to do something really, really crazy... I dunno, plan a trip to Japan or something. Hospital trips have fewer nifty souveniers.

I'm glad your mom's plumber had your number to call you. Or that your mom had it on her emergency list. It's a good thing somebody was there, so she was able to get help quickly. I'm glad she's out, and that she's doing fairly well. Both of you take care.

Dawn Bushman said...

Hello dearest Warrior Flower. The comment of Mom has left the hospital was actually a pun on an old phrase used at Elvis concerts. I don't know if you're aware of this. The fans would hang out, not leave the auditorium, and someone would come over the speakers at the auditorium to announce "Elvis has left the building!" to get the fans to leave. :o)

I'm sorry, I was trying to put a little bit of humor to a not so humorous situation. Yes, Mom and I are both grateful to the plumber and grateful to God that he made sure someone would be there when this happened.

Needless to say I will be keeping a closer eye on Mom. She has a broken right foot, so right now I am also her chauffeur around town. I've been grateful for the opportunity, though, to be able to spend more time with her.