Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Update #2

For those following along with my very personal saga (I understand it could be TMI for some of you and I understand), I have some news.

I saw the specialist today and got good and bad news.

The bad news: it's gotten bigger since the CT scan was done on Wednesday.

While the CA 125 came back negative, I'm not out of the woods just yet; there's still a chance it could have cancer and it not spread - yet.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday and he is wanting to do the surgery on a Thursday or Friday to minimize the amount of time I'll have to take off work to heal.

The cyst is inside the ovary, and is bigger than what they normally can do with laparoscopic surgery, although he's going to try it anyway to be the least invasive.

If the cyst bursts, then it will be emergency surgery and much more invasive to remove and to make sure I don't end up with a life threatening infection.

This means I will be missing work and not waiting until summer to have this handled.

When the doctor came in, he at first was asking me what I did to deserve this. I think he was testing to see how I would react.

I told him that things happen for a reason and that something good will come of this, I just don't know what blessings will come of it. This made him feel more comfortable in telling me all of the news and answer the questions of both my Mother and my own. Yes, Mom came with me, because she also didn't really understand what was going on. Now we both have a better idea.

The doctor did say, though, if he opens me up and finds cancer, he will not perform the surgery, but will close me back up, wake me up, tell me what he found and bring in another doctor to perform a full hysterectomy.

Basically, this is the status in a nutshell. He'll know more with the ultrasound, but nothing beats actually looking at the problem directly in order to see if there is cancer or not.

This doctor is really, really nice and actually was joking around with us through the appointment, and I'm really thankful to have him working with me on this.

I'm in good hands.

I'll know more on Monday, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Many thanks for the prayers and thoughts on my behalf, please know they are being answered and greatly appreciated.


Shellee said...

Hello there, oh sore one of the uterus...

Please let me know when you are getting things done so I can help you. Please!!!

WarriorFlower said...

I'm glad to know you are in good hands. I am sorry that there are so many levels to this and so many questions that you won't be able to answer right away.

Sending you hugs!

Dawn Bushman said...

Thank you, both. I'll know more on Monday. I'll keep everyone posted. Prayers needed.

Myra said...

Good luck Dawn. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.