Thursday, March 11, 2010

Comparing

Have you ever compared yourself to others?

There are times when I look around at the sisters in my Ward and I wonder why my life has turned out so different than theirs. Many of them married (hopefully happily married), having or adopting children, working towards the life I thought I would have with Decker.

Just a little bit ago I was looking at the pictures of a good friend of mine who is my friend on Facebook. We went to high school together, and though she graduated a year before I did, I always felt towards her as she was my sister. I'm so glad we've been able to reconnect on Facebook. Again, though, I've wondered (more an awe type of wonder) at how beautifully her life has turned out.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the life I have and the uniqueness of my situation.

Then, in those promptings you don't expect, the Spirit of the Lord comes to me and whispers in my ear: "maybe you are comparing yourself to the wrong sisters. Look to the scriptures for examples of noble women who also had very different lives than the norm."

I'm just going to have to do that.

No comments: