Monday, April 15, 2019

Something Interesting I Noticed While Preparing My Taxes

This past weekend I did my taxes.  Usually I try to have them done by now, but I was sick during a chink of my Spring Break.

So, I’m using Turbo Tax, which shows your refund amount at the top.  I started off having a very small amount in that box until I entered in my tax deductible donations.  Then the refund grew.  A lot.

Then there was the amount of money (over 20% of my gross pay) spent in medical expenses.

Yep.

And I was also able to deduct the money spent in work uniforms last year (yay!) that were not compensated by my employer.

Yeah, last year was a crazy year.

But I noticed that the bulk of my refund was coming from the donations.

When you think about people at economic levels and take a look at who donates and who doesn’t, I think I have a pretty good idea of why some people noticed a decrease in their refund amounts.

Just an observation.

No comments: