Saturday, April 15, 2017

What Would You Tell Your Teenage Self?

This is a blog post that stems from a vlog on YouTube about things about Finance you wished you learned in high school.  Given that I worked with middle schoolers for a while, I can appreciate this topic, as I did try to incorporate some of these lessons with them.  One thing is for sure, those kids will now know how to calculate a budget on Excel.  LOL.




If I could travel back to when I was in high school, one of the biggest financial things I would do is to sneak a copy of The Millionaire Next Door and give it to myself.  I was already saving money, and had learned some of the basics of balancing out a savings account book (great practice for reconciling a checking account register), and had some idea of compounding interest.

I was, however, part of the regular tuning audience for a television show called Lifestyles of The Rich And Famous.





I grew up middle class, and when I was in high school, I was convinced that this was how all wealthy people lived.

I would want myself to understand that the majority of the truly wealthy people don't live like this, but have ordinary lives, with jobs that are not so glamorous.





I would also tell myself that, despite everything that will happen to me in the future, it will be okay.  Yes, I have my struggles - not just financially - but it will be okay.

No comments: