Saturday, September 3, 2016

Finance Basics - Introduction

From The United States Department of Treasury.  Source:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/ustreasury/4545923218/in/album-72157623916186848/
I will start by saying that I'm not an expert in finance.

I've been wanting to do some posts about money and getting out of debt for a while now, I'm finally taking the time to do it.

For the past few years I've been working to get out of debt.  I'm seeing a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and progress is being made.

This past March I paid off the car, which has allowed me to get an emergency $1,000 saved up more quickly.  This came in handy, but I'll save that story for another post.

What I thought I'd do for an introduction is to embed videos I've found on YouTube that give some great information regarding the historical significance about money in general, then about currency for the United States.

I'm not going to go into the politics of whether or not we need a Federal Reserve here.  There is plenty of argument for and against it, I'm still not decided on it completely myself.

The Ascent of Money

This is a fantastic series of videos that originally aired on PBS.  I purchased the DVD's, and while I have my own digital copy for my own use, I did not post on YouTube these or any of the other videos I will be posting on here.  Below is a playlist for the six episodes.






Next, let's talk about the U.S. Federal Reserve and how currency is created, disposed as well as all about that gold.

A little history, however over how the Federal Reserve was created, and why.


Now, for a look inside the currency.








For the rest of my posts, much of this will be based on several sources, however the primary source will be from the Family Finances workbook from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Family Finance

One For The Money


No comments: