Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Other Major Goal For 2017

With the advent (and expense) of bed bugs last year, it meant a lot of my furniture had to be removed and disposed of.

The two queen sized beds in my home?  Gone.

The couch and upholstered rocking chair and ottoman?  Gone.

Office desk and two upholstered desk chairs?  Gone.

In order to have space for the extermination process (four visits), more had to be removed and placed into an offsite storage unit.  One that had full sunlight access in the middle of the Arizona summer heat, which would kill any bed bugs that might try to travel.  It worked.

I've since moved the boxes back in December, and sprayed everything down with 91% alcohol, which kills any surviving bed bugs on contact.

Needless to say, they are now gone.

But, where to start?  

I've got a whole mess of boxes in various places around my home, and now it's getting cleaned up and either found to a new home in my home or donated.

The other mess of boxes that now sit in my office, however, are a litany of papers dating back to high school and probably even before that.

In light of this, I've made an investment into a ScanSnap Document Scanner, identical to the kind used at my workplace, in order to scan in what I want to keep and shred the paper copies.  Some will need to be kept, due to legal or tax purposes, however there is a lot here that can be shredded.  I had already purchased a shredder at Costco a few years back, it's still sitting in it's box. Between these two machines, I plan to eliminate mountains of boxes.  

The video below will give you an idea of what can be done.


And, as last month was Christmas with the document scanner I have been wanting was on sale...



I already have the shredder and purchased a box of 500 clear plastic bags to use with it, the time has come to get organized!

Why do I need to do this?

This is just the recycling:  Eight bags, plus cardboard boxes and a box that is filled with paper recycling.




And these boxes are filled with papers dating back to the 1980's to now.  And these are just the ones in my office.





No comments: