Saturday, October 11, 2014

Apple's Rotten Fruit

These last few weeks since I upgraded my iPad to iOS 8 has been challenging.  More challenging than I've had with any other upgrade.  This is definitely one piece of software that was not ready for prime time, but Apple released it on everyone anyway.  Microsoft was always notorious for doing this, but Apple?  Really?

1.  Sluggish iPad.  I now have to wait 5 - 10 minutes for changes made that reflect on the memory usage to actually show up.  This used to show immediately on iOS 7 and prior.  Last night I deleted a lot of trash out of my email and had to leave my iPad plugged in overnight for the memory to fully change it's reading.  Other things, such as pages loading on Safari also now take forever.

2.  Crashing apps.  Everything now crashes.  Some days are better than others, but it now takes 3 - 4 times to get into Facebook without it crashing - only to wait an additional 5 minutes for any data to actually load.  Third party software issues?  Not entirely.  Mail crashes constantly, as does Safari and those are both from Apple.

3.  Dark screen setting.  On iBooks.  A great idea, as well as that Accessibiltiy trick of clicking 3 times to have any of your apps change to the dark screen.  Unfortunately, my iBooks decided to go into permanent dark screen setting.  Clicking 3 times doesn't work due to issue #1 above.  It finally fixed itself when I plugged the iPad in and synched it with my MacBook Pro.  Whyy did I need to do that?  Well...

4.  Disappearing data.  Thankfully I backed up everything onto my Mac computer before upgrading anything.  Initially, I lost pages of writing on my Pages app.  I lost my financial spreadsheets on Numbers, and Keynote wasn't registering anything.  So I let it sit for a while and guess what?  It finally reappeared!  Which is more than I can say for the books in my Purchased page in iBooks.  It only shows a fraction of the books I've purchased.  Thankfully it is showing on the iBooks app on my Mac, so I was able to synch the ones I wanted back on my iPad.

5.  Getting Trapped in Trash.  I'm not kidding.  I accidentally deleted an email I wanted to keep, so I went to the trash to move it back to the Inbox.  That worked, except that when I went to leave the Trash can, the little "I'm thinking" spinning wheel just spinned.  It never let me out.  I clicked out and opened another app then went back, still in Trash with the spinning wheel.  

I finally gave up and started looking online, but I couldn't find anyone else posting about this issue, so I posed the question on the Apple Forum.  Thankfully a very nice person responded within a few hours suggesting that I double click the Home button and then drag the app upward to close it completely.  Thankfully that worked without having to do a hard reset on the machine.

6.  Getting your memory back.  I looked at my Usage and found I had 2 GB being used in Mail.  Why?  Apparently those photos I sent to my sister were still in the Sent Items box.  I went through and trashed everything, then emptied the Trash.  It still didn't work, I still showed 2 GB of Mail.  I went through ALL folders and deleted everything.  I got frustrated so I walked away from it for a little while.  When I came back, I noticed that the Mail had gone down to 1.8 GB.  I left it again for a while, and it went down more when I came back.  Then I realized it was suffering from Issue #1 above and left it plugged in overnight.  Thankfully, I now have the 2 GB of space back.

7.  Bluetooth no longer works properly.  I use a Logitech keyboard with my iPad for a lot of my major typing projects (like this blog).  It used to be I could turn it on and the Bluetooth on the iPad immediately registered it.  Not anymore.  If I haven't used the keyboard (or anything else requiring Bluetooth) in a few hours, I have to go into my Settings, turn off the Bluetooth entirely, give it a few seconds, then turn it back on, before my keyboard pairs with the iPad again.

My complaint is this:  there is talk that Apple is going to announce new iPads soon, when are they going to fix the software for those of us who are happy with the iPads we already have?  Also, why did they release a major OS that was obviously so flawed?

No comments: