Sunday, March 23, 2014

Notebook Organization

I used to be one of those people who used a Frankln Planner (before it became Franklin/Covey), so I understand the importance of keeping a notebook for specific reasons.  I don't use a planner anymore for my day, I use the Calander and Home Routines apps on my iPad for that.

I use my Contacts app to keep down names (however I need to also keep track of birthdays there as well).

I've found, though, that with all of the people I come into contact with for various reasons, I need some way of keeping everyone straight.  And, as Mom's needs become more of my own needs, I need a way of keeping track of whom she sees for what.  So, I came up with what I call my Business Cards Notebook.



This was part of that shopping haul I did at Staples.  And yes, I had a plan when I went in and bought all of this stuff.  I have had to go back and get a few extra items once I started to put everything together, but I think I've pretty much got the finished product.

The first sections, when I open up the book has a pocket on the inside front cover that I am using for reminder notices of upcoming appointments.  Sometimes I will get these in the mail, and putting them here gives them a home.

I also have a pocket pouch that has some labels and Post-It notes.  This is to give me quick access to something to write on when I need to make a quick note of something.




I then used the plastic dividers from Avery that are supposed to be writeable - however I used my label maker to label the different "zones" of the business cards and information.



As you have probably guessed, a lot of the stuff in the Mom zone are to keep track of her doctors, as well as using the lined notebook paper to keep track of drug and food allergies and her medications.  These are critical things to have quick access to in emergencies.


I then have a few more of the card holders to have a place for gift cards:



I have more pockets behind these to store additional important items such as my immunization record, return address labels and stamps.  I also purchased a pack of the "zip lock" style protectors for my checkbook to keep everything from falling out.



There is a storage flap on the back cover, I will probably use that for receipts if I need to.  I also kept a few extra pages of paper, for additional notes as necessary.

I also found that Staples has an Adhesive Pen Holder, which only cost $1.99!  This I put on the front cover of the notebook.  I bought a spare in case this one gets lost or damaged.





I also have a separate filing system for any coupons I use for shopping:


No comments: