Saturday, December 11, 2010

Traditions

Some traditions are just fun to keep. When I was a kid, my parents used to load my sister and I up in Dad's pickup truck (this was before seat belts and car seats) where I would be next to Mom, if not on her lap if I couldn't see. We'd go on these car rides, all over town, particularly around the desert area. I'd always try to stay awake, but usually would be asleep by the time we got home. I have later found out my parents did this on purpose, on those nights when we just wouldn't go to sleep.

Branching from that, at Christmas time, we started taking car rides around to see the Christmas lights. This is something I still do today. I love taking car rides around town to see the light displays. There used to be some really good ones in Gilbert, sadly with the tanked housing market, a lot of the homes that used to go all out at Christmas time are either cut back or not at all. I guess it's just a sign of the times we now live in.

This man, however, is retired and able to really put on a show:

No comments: