Thursday, March 12, 2009

Where, Oh Where Has My Mother Gone?

I have to preface this post with a little story.

When I was little I had this habit of wandering off and away from my mother at the grocery store. Mostly to look at the toy section. :o)

My mother soon tired of this and decided to teach me a lesson. She let me wander off to the toys and left me there while she shopped. She was done shopping but waited up by the cashiers at the store for me to realize that I could no longer find my mother anywhere. I went into panic mode, started screaming and crying, and that was when she showed up. After that I clung to my mother when we went shopping anywhere.

Of course, this was back in the 1970's when you didn't have to worry about children getting abducted.

So yesterday, after a morning appointment, I went to my mother's home to take her to the doctor. She's injured herself again, so we needed to find out what was wrong and what needs to be done so she is not in so much pain.

The appointment ran longer than expected, so by the time I got to Mom's she wasn't there. She wouldn't have gone grocery shopping, I had her groceries in my car, from getting them the night before for her. I waited an hour, but she didn't come home. I went into panic mode (only this time no screaming and crying) and went looking for her.

I drove by her doctor's office and 2 hospitals, still no Mom. As I would pass the area of her home, I would drive by to see if she had come home yet, but she still wasn't there. I went to the local Walgreens to see if she was there, but she wasn't. It was on my way back to her home from Walgreens that I passed her as she was making her way to Walgreens. I turned around and followed her there.

She had made it to her doctor, but had spent over an hour having x-rays done at another location, which is why I couldn't find her. I treated her to McDonalds while waiting for her prescription to be filled and went to her place to help out around the house so she could relax and take her meds.

She did realize, though, while she was out and about doing all of this that she could end up stuck somewhere without my being able to help her, so she might have second thoughts about doing this again.

Whew.

No comments: